February in Africa

I spent the month of February in Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa attending two conferences, traveling, birding, and helping out at the ECHO farm in South Africa.

I left on the 30th of January from Ft. Myers. David Erickson, from ECHO, and I were on the same flights to Detroit and Amsterdam. But then he went straight to Tanzania and I went to Nairobi. Ellen and I were supposed to be on the same flights to and from Nairobi but she had been called to Cincinnati in the middle of January because of her Mother’s health and needed to stay behind to help her parents move from Cincinnati to Columbus.

I arrived in Nairobi and spent the night at Mayfield Guest House and then took the Impala Shuttle (small bus) down to Arusha and checked into the Naura Springs Hotel for the ECHO Symposium.

Arusha ECHO Symposium

Conference Sign
Ready to begin!
Tea time at the symposium
John de Wolff is a consultant who helped us get the goat project going at Cheptebo.

The three days of the symposium were fun. I reconnected with old friends and got to better know the ECHO East Africa staff.

Back to Nairobi

I left Arusha on Friday and took the shuttle back to Nairobi. Brian and Patty Arensen had invited me to stay with them. Brian has developed a small fountain, pool and garden at the back of their house. And with a couple of feeders that really attracts the birds!

Red-billed Firefinch
Red-billed Firefinch
Dusky  Turtle Dove
Dusky Turtle Dove

 Wycliffe’s housewarming

On Saturday we went out to Ngong for a housewarming for Wycliffe who has worked for the AIM office there for many years. He does a lot of the immigration paperwork for the missionaries. It was great to meet his family and celebrate with them.

On Sunday I went to Church at Ngong Road AIC with the Arensens and ran into some other old friends.

Brian and Patty took me to lunch at an Indian restaurant at a mosque and community center in Lavington. After lunch we did a couple of laps on the track around the cricket pitch!


Then Sunday afternoon Brian and I went out to the Giraffe Center near Karen but we did not feed giraffes. Instead we hiked the nature trail across the road and saw a number of really cool birds – highlight was the Hartlaub’s Turacos that followed us around for a bit.

On to Naivasha

On Monday I took a taxi out to Naivasha and had lunch at the Indian restaurant at Delamere’s with Shel and Kym Arensen. Their house is nearby in the same area east of the main road where several other expats have built houses.

Birding was great there, especially down along the Malewa River that their house borders.

Hadada Ibis
Hadada Ibis
White-eyed Slaty Flycatcher
White-eyed Slaty Flycatcher

Visit to Eburru Forest

On Tuesday Shel took me with him to visit some of the Ndorobo he has been working with in the hills above Naivasha. They are also helping guard the Eburru Forest there and have permission to keep their beehives in the forest and harvest honey. We drove through a good bit of the forest and then stopped to hike a bit, again seeing some cool birds.

Visit to Street Kids School

Kym Arensen has had contact with a street kids school – Naivasha Children’s Shelter. They are looking into building a biogas generator and asked me for input. They have installed a unit at Cheptebo so I put them in touch with each other.

First session of Eden Club

The other ministry Kym is involved in there is an after school program in primary schools called “Eden Clubs”. This is a program to teach environmental awareness and care of God’s creation. I went with her and her Kenyan co-worker to the introductory session at a school on the south side of Naivasha.

To Eldoret

On Thursday I took another taxi to Eldoret. The taxis weren’t cheap but saved time and wear and tear on me! I met our great friends Joseph and Sally, Hellen, and Collins, for lunch at an Indian (!) restaurant across the street from Sizzler’s.

Then on the way down to Cheptebo late that afternoon we stopped on the outskirts of Eldoret to greet our former house worker, Mary and former volunteer, Kathryn.

Things were really busy at the project. They were having a joint meeting on Sunday and then Monday there was a meeting of county officials from three or four counties. So I spent Saturday relaxing and walking around the farm.

The Sunday joint meeting was typical but it was good to see many of my friends that are the pastors and leaders in the valley.

Jackson's Hornbill
Jackson’s Hornbill
Pretty sure this is a White-faced Scops Owl

Monday I got a ride up to Eldoret with the farm manager for a very early flight to Nairobi.

Another Conference

Alison and Cody had been interns at ECHO.

In the meantime Ellen’s Mom had rallied and stabilized and so she came on out and had arrived in Nairobi by then. We took a bus out to Brackenhurst for a conference where she helped with the children’s program. It was terrific to meet up with even more old friends there. Two of our former interns were there as well.

South Africa

I left Brackenhurst on Thursday and spent the night at Mayfield before leaving for South Africa on Friday. Tim Motis had come from the US and we met up and stayed overnight at a hotel at the airport. Saturday we rented a car and drove the 3 hours to the ECHO research location north of Johannesburg.

We helped harvesting maize, did some birding, and reconnected with folks I met during my 2 month’s stay in 2013.

Nice maize from the research plot
Always pests!
Nice to have flowers in the garden also.
moringa plot
Checking out the Moringa plot

Last Day in Nairobi

Meeting up with another friend and her daughter in Nairobi.

Saturday we did some shopping and visited with two young women who were children in the remote community in northern Kenya when we first arrived in the ’80s.Then after supper at Mayfield went to the airport and headed back to the US.

Published by


Tropical Agronomist

One thought on “February in Africa”

  1. wow wow,this is so wonderful,may the Almighty God bless you and add you more strenght to reach out

Comments are closed.